So it’s that time of year again. Where everyone makes their New Year’s Resolution and they last about a whole 2 weeks if most are lucky, lol. With that being said, the year 2011 was probably one of the biggest years in gaming history. Even though it was heavily loaded fully of sequels, almost all of them surpasssed their predecessors.
From The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Gears Of War 3, Call Of Duty Modern Warfare 3, Battlefield 3, Assassin’s Creed: Revelations, Batman: Arkham City, Dragon Age II, Zelda The Skyward Sword (yes, I had to throw the Zelda love in), Saint’s Row 3 and I’m sure I’m leaving out so many other great sequels that came out.
On the not so establihed side there were pretty solid titles released as well. Rage was beautiful, but it was short. Dead Island was, even through some of its’ glitches, a diamond in the rough. Lord of the Rings: War in the North turned out not to be as bad as I expected as well.
I think most people that played the arcade side of gaming had a great year as well. Going all the way back to the begining of the year: Torchlight – though I thought it had even greater potential, it was still a great game (I’m sure T2 will make up for it with the co-op). Microsoft’s Summer of Arcade brought out some big hits too. Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet had to be one of the coolest visual games of the year. Bastion was a fun and different take on RPG. Fruit Ninja: Kinect is insanely fun, frustrating, and awesome in its on right. Dungeon Defenders is a great hit too, 4 player hack-n-slash-tower-defending-rpging co-op fun.
I’m sure that I’ve missed a many great games above, there are so many that came out in 2011 that were amazing. But the question remains: Will 2012 be even better? Well, here’s a highlight to what we might see in 2012.
There first few months of 2012 are going to be expensive for the gaming nation. Final Fantasy XIII-2, Soul Calibur V, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, The Darkness 2, Brother in Arms: Furious 4, Mass Effect 3, Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon: Future Soldier, Max Payne 3, Game Of Thrones, Ninja Gaiden 3, Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City, Dragon’s Dogma, The Witcher 2: Assassins Of Kings are all supposed to come out within the first 3 months of 2012.
Here I will expand into detail the games I’m looking forward to in 2012:
- Of Orcs and Men – A fantasy game where you play as an orc, which is different, lol.
- Kindgoms of Amalur: Reckoning – When you put my favorite author and Mr. Todd McFarlane into the same team for a fantasy game? Sold. If you do not buy this game, I think you will regret it. It has the mechanics of Fable mixed the with open worldness of Skyrim.
- The Darkness 2 – Jackie Estacado is a killer and he’s the best at what he does. The original game came out so long ago and to this day it’s still one of the best looking shooters on Xbox 360.
- Mass Effect 3 – Bioware, Commander Shepard, Epicness….need I say more.
- The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings – As if we need even more RPG’s? OF COURSE WE DO! This, I think, will blow people’s minds. I’m hoping it sells well enough for CDProjekt to port the original to Xbox 360 as well.
- Star Trek: The Game – A two player co-op game that is supposed to bridge the gap between the first and second movie.
- Minecraft (XBLA) – Granted the graphics look like Nintendo (by design), this game has received critical acclaim on the PC.
- Aliens: Colonial Marines – If anyone can pull of a 4 player co-op game, Gearbox can.
- Darksiders II – Darksiders was awesome for what it was. I expect this one to be ten times better, not to mention you play as Death.
- Tomb Raider – This is my most anticipated game of the year. If this game is half as cool as the demo at E3, then Tomb Raider will officially be reborn in my eyes.
- Halo 4 – Supposably supposed to come out next year. It’s Halo, it will sell.
- Fable: The Journey – I’m still a little mixed on this one. Without actually playing this one, I can’t say how much I’ll like it.
- Kinect: Star Wars – The demo at E3 looked choppy. But, that won’t deter me from checking this game out. They’ve had plenty of time to fix this game (seeing how they delayed my new console), so it should be solid.
- Metro: Last Light – If you have not checked out Metro 2033, you need to. This is one of the best sleeper hits I’ve ever played.
- Borderlands 2 – I haven’t seen a release date on this yet, but this is one of the best new IP games that has came out in a long long time.
- Bioshock: Infinite – When the first Bioshock game came out, I was in awe. Bioshock 2…eh, not so much. I’m hoping that this one blows my mind away.
I’m sure there are many many more games that I haven’t covered here. I’m not sure on the release window for GTA V, so I didn’t include it. Not to mention the new generation (unfortunately) will start launching and the end of next year with Nintendo Wii U leading the charge. I’m sure that Sony and Microsoft won’t be far behind.
So, what are all of you looking forward to next year?